Job postings Number of Jobs: 1
The International Organization for Migration in Afghanistan implements multi-donor projects or programmes that deploy data management initiatives to support its operational processes towards the provision of humanitarian and development assistance. The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s information management system to track and monitor population displacement and mobility. The primary objective of DTM in Afghanistan is to collect structured data through multi-layered assessments to obtain in-depth information on population categories, mobility patterns, reasons for mobility, and immediate needs.
The Translation Clerk is required to have a perfect command of English, Dari and Pashto. They must also be able to write technical information in a clean, coherent and grammatically correct style in Dari and Pashto. Under the overall guidance of the DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the DTM Reporting Officer, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for providing translation services/support covering a broad range of migration-related documents and subjects.
- Translate reports in English to produce accurate and complete versions in both Dari and Pashto, using the most appropriate terminology and commonly accepted or established equivalents of professional, scientific or technical concepts and terms.
- Maintain rapid speed and high volume of output, while maintaining high quality translation, with due diligence being taken of the complexity of text assigned.
- Meet tight production deadlines on translations.
- Edit texts in Dari and Pashto to ensure style and presentation are in conformity with IOM and DTM standards.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation, and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA)
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Monitors own work to correct errors
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings
- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients
- Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries
- Keeps clients informed of developments and setbacks
- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
- Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
- Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
- Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Actively shares relevant information
- Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures
- Writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience
- Listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative
- Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Expands responsibilities while maintaining existing ones
- Persuades others to consider new ideas
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
Leadership and Negotiation
- Convinces others to share resources
- Actively identifies opportunities for and promotes organisational change
- Presents goals as shared interests
- Articulates vision to motivate colleagues and follows through with commitments
- Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
- Identifies ways for their staff to develop their abilities and careers
- Provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
- Uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR
- Holds directly reporting managers accountable for providing fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
- Identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others
- Develops strategic vision for IOM within area of responsibility
- Organises and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers
- Identifies risks and makes contingency plans
- Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals
- Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
- Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation
- Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
- Treats all colleagues with respect and dignity
- Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
- Knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
- Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
- Contributes to, and follows team objectives
- Gives credit where credit is due
- Seeks input and feedback from others
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate
- Actively supports and implements final group decisions
- Takes joint responsibility for team’s work
- Learns about developments in available technology
- Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work
- Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs
- Builds stable strategic alliances with relevant parties
- Identifies sources of and secures funding from external stakeholders to meet the needs of IOM
- Basic information on the migration issues within Afghanistan and the reasons why people migrate.
- Basic Knowledge of what IOM is doing in Afghanistan for migration and specifically for the undocumented Afghan returnees.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
- Recognised certification in translation or related field
- Three or more years of professional translation experience in English/Dari/Pashto
- Proficiency in the usage of Microsoft Office (MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel, etc.)
- Experience in creating and editing documents in Adobe InDesign is a distinct advantage
- Experience at an international level with specialized international agencies (UN Agencies, International Organisations, and International Specialized NGOs) is an advantage
Interested applicants are invited to send curriculum vitae by the following e-mail address:
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org and by 28 January 2019 latest, referring to this advertisement quoting the above vacancy notice number. Candidates holding IOM contract should submit the internal application form. Sending curriculum vitae to both e-mail addresses are mandatory, applicants who failed to do so will not be considered.
We do not accept hard copies.
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate.
Please ensure that the e-mail address that you will indicate in your application is accurate Subject line must be: ( SVN-KBL-002/19 – Re-advertised) or your application may not be considered.
Campaigning for a candidate can be grounds for disqualification.
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org