- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Kabul
- Position Title:
- Customs Assistant
- Open Period:
- 02/14/2019 – 02/21/2019 Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 0905 8
- Not Specified
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees (Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employment) before you apply.
The U.S. Mission in Kabul is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for position of Customs Assistant with the General Services Office.
The work schedule for this position is:
Full-time 40 hours/week
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Not Required
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Subject Matter Expert for SDDC Customs procedures and provides continuity to office organization. Educates contractors, contracting officers COTRs on the customs clearance process. Attends conferences & conducts in-house training to educate SDDC and transportation personnel, contractors, & COTRs on customs procedures. Lead liaison with Afghan Ministries of Foreign Affairs (MoFA), Ministry of Finance (MoF), Afghan Customs Department (ACD), Border Points & Inland Customs Houses. Routinely interacts & meets with Afghan ministries on behalf of SDDC Customs office in lieu of the LNOs. Responds to RFIs (requests for information) from Carriers, Contractors & COTR submitted to office group email.
Applicants must address required qualifications criteria listed below with specific information and documentation supporting each item. For example, official transcripts evidencing educational requirements must be attached to the original application submission. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified. We are not required to contact applicants who have submitted incomplete application packages.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience in public or private sector customs, shipping and customs/transportation field is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of the local customs clearance procedures and a basic knowledge of transportation and shipping procedures in the commercial sector.
- Education Requirements:
Completion of high school is required.
LANGUAGE: List both English and host country language(s) proficiency requirements by level (II, III) and
Specialization (sp/read): Level IV (Fluent) English ability is and Level IV (Fluent) Dari ability is required.
This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Competent with MS Excel and Outlook
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications and complete a mandatory probationary period for LE Staff.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs. The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), locally-resident EFMs and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Kabul may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS in LWOP **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS in LWOP status with re-employment or reinstatement rights back to their agency or bureau.
What is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc? (https://www.icass.gov/hr-oe/)
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
1. The Mission may consider any of the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
2. Current OR employees having served less than one (1) year in their current position are not eligible to apply. In addition, current OR employees, regardless of agency or section, who have received job-specific training away from Post at U.S. Government expense may not be considered for any other position within the Mission for six months from the completion date of the training. Current employees of the Mission who have not successfully completed their initial probationary periods are not eligible to apply. Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory or MBC score of 100 points or less, on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
3. Current employees of the Mission hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment. This does not apply for employees on a PSA (Temp), or those are hired on a When Actually Employed (WAE) or intermittent work schedule.
4. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security clearance.
To apply for this position applicants must electronically submit the documents listed below to be considered for employment. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible and qualified.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site (US Embassy Kabul Website).
- Required Documents:
Completion of High School
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language, skills, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Kabul.
for more information please visit official website