- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Kabul
- Position Title:
- Legal Analyst
- Open Period:
- 02/26/2019 – 03/04/2019 Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 0210 7
- Not Specified
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – Hiring
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Competitive service
• Internal to an agency (searchable on USAJOBS)
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs EFMs or MOHs
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- About the Agency
The U.S. Mission in Kabul is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for position of Legal Analyst with the Department of Justice (DOJ) Section.
The work schedule for this position is: Full-time 40 hours/week.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
- Travel Required:
- Not Required
Provide oral and written updates and analysis to their assigned section head, or to the Justice Attache on political/judicial developments. Monitor a broad range of local media outlets and report on issues, views, and developments. Assist with preparations for high-level visits, and training of Afghan judicial officials. Identify key figures and assist in establishing relationships. Set up appointments for their assigned section head, or the Justice Attache and interpret at meetings as needed. The incumbent will maintain a current, comprehensive list of contacts with Afghan judicial authorities. Travel as appropriate to assist the office of the Justice Attache. Performs oral and written translation work from English into host country languages: Dari and Pashto. Performs oral and written translation work from host country languages into English. Interprets during meetings with high-level host nation officials as well as meetings with other host nation contacts. Develops and maintains contacts with appropriate Afghan government officials, NGO experts, press, and civil society representatives operating in Afghanistan. Respond to tasking on judicial issues. Additional duties as required. Assist Treasury Attache as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Applicants must address required qualifications criteria listed below with specific information and documentation supporting each item. For example, official transcripts evidencing educational requirements must be attached to the original application submission. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified. We are not required to contact applicants who have submitted incomplete application packages.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EXPERIENCE: At least 2 years of translation/interpretation or social science research experience is required with an Embassy or international organization.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: In addition to the language requirement incumbent should have general knowledge of the Afghan legal system as well as the overall legal process including general laws, provisions and procedures.
- Education Requirements:
At least two years of college/university studies is required.
LANGUAGE: Level 3 English / Level 4 Dari / Level 4 Pashto in both written and oral formats are required.
This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Excellent ‘Written and verbal skills. Ability to speak publicly. Have strong intern-personal skills. Must have the ability to interpret conversations, meetings and proceedings in real time. Should have a familiarity of legal/technical terms and vocabulary. Must be able to self-direct on issues related to work, and to work without constant supervision. Additionally. incumbent should be a self-starter and able to place individual tasks within the larger context of the work in the office. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Applicants must address required qualifications criteria listed below with specific information and documentation supporting each item. For example, official transcripts evidencing educational requirements must be attached to the original application submission. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified. We are not required to contact applicants who have submitted incomplete application packages.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), locally-resident EFMs and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Kabul may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference. HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER: (1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran* (2) AEFM / USEFM (3) FS on LWOP and CS in LWOP ** * IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final. ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS in LWOP status with re-employment or reinstatement rights back to their agency or bureau. What is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc? (https://www.icass.gov/hr-oe/) ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA: 1. The Mission may consider any of the following when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status. 2. Current OR employees having served less than one (1) year in their current position are not eligible to apply. In addition, current OR employees, regardless of agency or section, who have received job-specific training away from Post at U.S. Government expense may not be considered for any other position within the Mission for six months from the completion date of the training. Current employees of the Mission who have not successfully completed their initial probationary periods are not eligible to apply. Current employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory or MBC score of 100 points or less, on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply. 3. Current employees of the Mission hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment. This does not apply for employees on a PSA (Temp), or those are hired on a When Actually Employed (WAE) or intermittent work schedule. 4. Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a local security clearance. To apply for this position applicants must electronically submit the documents listed below to be considered for employment. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible and qualified. To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site (US Embassy Kabul Website).
- Required Documents:
Two years College Degree/Transcript
Proof of Citizenship (Tazkara)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language, skills, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email. Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Kabul.
for more information please visit official website